’78 International Harvester Scout 2, part 6A

In Uncategorized on February 22, 2015 at 1:10 am

I’m not sure this is really worthy of calling part 6 but it is the beginning of the next stage of work so I guess we will jump there rather than keep updating 5.  Having said that….   let’s update the part 5 projects first.  I got the reverse lights hooked up.20150115_171241 20150115_172539

The photo on the left shows the plug for the reverse light switch on the transmission.  The other photo shows the lights on.  Brilliant!  🙂  I do need to route the wires from the plug a little bit better.  They need to be tucked up in the dash or tidied up some in the engine bay.  Right now they just run through the firewall and droop down in the engine bay before running under the firewall to the transmission.  I haven’t decided where they will end up yet so for now, they will just have to stay where they are.

Anyway on to pulling everything out of the engine bay to replace gaskets.  Up to this point I have not opened up the motor.  I have just removed accessories.  The radiator, radiator fan and the rest of the AC equipment have been taken out.  The alternator and associated brackets have been removed and the water pump, housing, and pulleys have been taken out as well as the thermostat and it’s housing.  Everything has been cleaned up and painted.  The radiator needs to be replaced and the water pump housing needs a repair.

20150220_144951 20150220_144936 20150220_144923

As you can see on the last photo I found where the coolant leak was coming from.  Luckily that connection is threaded so I can just unscrew it and replace it with a new part.  The housing itself is next to impossible to find so I’m very happy that I don’t need to replace the whole thing.   I still need to figure out how to remove the water pipes on the housing so that I can replace the o-rings and gaskets on them.  One of the water pipes is a little bit worn on the end that connects into the block.  I think that I can live with it as the bit that is worn down is past the flange and o-ring and is essentially just the bit that hangs out past them in the hole on the block.  But I might need to replace the water pipe or figure out some way to repair it.  That’s it for now.  Work does continue slowly.  Between class, my new job, some rain, and some extracurricular activities the last few weekends I haven’t had much time for the Scout but I work on it as I find time in between everything else.  The head covers and intake manifold are next.  Depending on what I find I might not open up the motor anymore than that.  I do need to replace the oil pan gasket and the differential gaskets as well though.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: