sansthelight

Tool Making

In anvil, blacksmithing, education, thor's hammer, tools on November 6, 2014 at 3:17 am

My favorite class so far is tool making.  It is equal parts welding, machining, and blacksmithing.  My first project is making an anvil out of a chunk of railroad track.  It is essentially done at this point.  There are some extra things I can do to clean it up a bit if I have time after finishing my other required projects. Here are a couple of photos of that process:

the first cuts are complete!

the first cuts are complete!

finished!

finished!

My next project was to make a chipping hammer out of a railroad spike.  That was quick and easy.  I won’t bore you with a photo of that.  I already have a good chipping hammer so this one was pretty much just finished for a grade.  It wasn’t something I spent much time on as it isn’t something I will be actively using.

The third project is to make something else out of a second railroad spike.  I am going to make an ornamental coat hook to hang my welding jackets on.  It is started but I haven’t gotten very far on it as I have only worked on it for about 30 minutes or so.  My initial plan wasn’t working very well so I need to figure out how I will actually get it done.

The fourth project is to make a hammer out of a chunk of bar stock.  It could be artistic or a functional hammer.  I have a small machinists sledge so i decided to go more artistic with an interpretation of Thor’s hammer based on old pendants and engravings found in Viking era sites.  It should be finished tomorrow but here are a few shots of the work as it progressed.  I’ll add a final shot when it is finished.

The head is shaped and the rough shape of the handle is cut.  Nothing is attached at this point.

The head is shaped and the rough shape of the handle is cut. Nothing is attached at this point.

The first inlay is done using some copper sheet that was left in the garage by the previous tenant.  The handle still isn't actually attached to the head at this point.

The first inlay is done using some copper sheet that was left in the garage by the previous tenant. The handle still isn’t actually attached to the head at this point.

The handle is attached to the head.  The second inlay is completed and the handle is stained.  Only the pommel weight is left to be done.

The handle is attached to the head. The second inlay is completed and the handle is stained. Only the pommel weight is left to be done.

I have a couple more projects to finish as well.  One is a brand that we will use to mark the piece of wood we are mounting the anvil too.  We made our own nails just for this purpose.  The other is a gardening tool.  I have some extra steel from an old style garage door that I took apart that will probably go into making some additional tools.  If I get that accomplished I’ll let you know.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: